Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Sunday


They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. "Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."


Easter does funny things to me. Perhaps because it is less commercialized than Christmas, it brings a lump to my throat. I am totally overcome by its message of victory and the hope it epitomizes. Imagine how Mary and the disciples, overcome with grief and their hopes waning, must have felt when they saw the empty tomb! Perhaps indignation and disbelief at first, but then what joy, what immense comfort, what hope for the future, what blessed assurance that their faith had not been in vain!


For many years, I maintained a personal tradition of inviting my best friend (now married and a proud papa) for breakfast on Easter Sunday after sunrise services. Yep! Yours truly, despite her well-known love for sleeping in late, always made it a point to attend the simple but moving sunrise services at the crack of dawn. Well, maybe not exactly the crack, but early enough. I made allowances for the gimmicks associated with religious festivals, and painted Easter Eggs with glee. I even helped with children's choir practices in church.

Sadly, because of many things, circumstances as well as laziness, I no longer do these things, but Easter still retains that special place in my heart. After all, it's the basis of all that we believe in as Christians.

Here's wishing a very blessed and meaningful Easter Sunday to all my friends on the Net. Don't let it be just another day!

8 comments:

  1. Hey I saw your pug marks on my page and thought i'd come over and raise my hind leg here too. I've seen your id but never got to check it out and hey, you got some really interesting stuff going on here. Quick question: what's with the feminine feminist? I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a blessed Holy Week. Easter attained new meaning for me after my mum's death several years ago. I blogged about it last year, I think. Easter and the story of Jesus' resurrection from death becomes so much more personal and precious when someone you love very dearly passes away.

    I'm afraid I've never been a sunrise service attendee though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ philo, woof! woof! Welcome! Does raising your hind leg mean that you'll be marking your territory in the tradional way too? I couldn't come up with a quick answer to your quick question, but here's the best I can do: I'm fed up with the notion that most people have, that being feminine equals being weak and helpless; conversely, that being a feminist means losing out on all your feminine traits. I think the two concepts can go together quite amicably. Those particular lines you quoted are part of a poem I wrote a few years back :)

    Thanks for the visit! Looking forward to seeing you around again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ steve ballmer...thanks.

    @ calliopia...I'm glad I found someone who shares my reverence for Easter and all it signifies. I'm sorry about your mom, but glad that you find strength in the your faith.

    Remind me to give you a wake-up call in the wee hours next Easter!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sadly still don't have this whole special "Easter reverence" :( Good Fridays always make me think more and have always been more meaningful to me.

    Anyway, I came in to tell you that, like you already know :P I **suck** at lying, all forms of it, and for that bumbling fool I played in 'that fiasco', in my defense, I would like to say that I was merely helping a friend out, good intentions all around haha :DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ka rawn rim dawn che a, in in ka hre lo va,, zialo khawp mai a, nula rim tum ve teh lul nen..:) Easter sunday khan ruah a sur nasa lutuk a, in ah ka awm char char kei chu..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jerusha....I assume you allude to the underwater 'fiasco'? Very commendable job!

    @Puia, chutia rawn leng miah lova i lo haw thlak leh ngawt le, dek zialo hle mai. Hriat duh te chuan zawh mai tur alom! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete